FAQ's About Physicals

  • North Tonawanda follows state guidelines regarding student physicals. Below are answers to frequently asked questions.

    Q: At what grades are students required to have physicals?
    School Physicals are required for:

    • All new students entering the district
    • All students in pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11
    • Students in Special Education (required every 3 years)
    • Students requesting working papers

    Athletic Physicals are required for:

    • Students participating in sports (good for 1 calendar year)

    Q: Can my daughter/son have a School Physical completed at school?
    The child’s physician is in the best position to provide the child with the most accurate physical. Since this is not always possible, the district will provide physical exams for students who are required to have physicals. Students entering 7th, 9th and 11th grade who receive an athletic physical in school will not need an additional school physical.


    Q: What if I don’t have a physician?
    Every child should have their own physician that can see the child for both well and sick visits. The school social worker can provide a parent/guardian with information regarding available assistance programs. Students that do not have a personal physician will receive their physical from the district health care provider.
    Q: What forms are needed for the School Physical?
    The District Health Appraisal Form, available under District Health Forms, should be completed by your physician. School physicals must be completed by a NYS licensed provider.
    **PLEASE NOTE: If a written copy of the physical is not received, the District will provide a physical by our District health care providers. School physicals will begin in October. Please note that physicals will include genital exams for the boys and breast exams for the girls. It would be helpful to your child if you prepare him/her for this part of the exam.

    Q: For how long are physical exams effective?

    • School Physical - effective for 12 months from entry date
    • Athletic Physical - effective for 12 months, through the last day of the month in which the physical was completed
    • Working Paper Physical - effective for 12 months from the date of the exam
    • Special Education Physical - required every 3 years


    Q: What is the process for signing up for Athletic Physicals?
    All athletes (fall, winter, spring) are encouraged to receive their physicals in May or June when sessions are scheduled at NTI, the Middle School and the High School. If a student misses a scheduled sports physical, there will be set dates throughout the year made available for those students who missed the May/June physicals. These physicals must be scheduled with the school nurse. To obtain a physical, a student must sign up with the school nurse before or after school. Please call the nurse’s office at 807-3611. If the physical is obtained through the student’s personal physician, please provide a copy to the Health Office.

    A parent/guardian must first complete a Pre-Participation Form before a physical will be administered. This form cannot be filled out until 30 days prior to your scheduled physical. When a child signs up for their physical with the school nurse, they will then be given an appointment date/time.


    Q: What is requested regarding the dental certificates?
    As part of your child’s requirements for school, a dental certificate will be requested the same years a physical examination is required. Please have your dentist complete the dental certificate and return it to the school nurse.


    Q: At what age are working papers needed and what is required in order to obtain working papers?
    Students age 12 that want newspaper carrier permits and students who are between the ages of 14 and 17 years old must obtain working papers in order to be employed. Working papers are obtained from the Guidance Office. The application must be completed and signed by a parent/guardian. The following information is required in order for working papers to be issued: 

    • Proof of age (birth certificate)
    • Social Security card or copy of card
    • Proof of physical exam within last 12 months (not required for newspaper carrier permits)
    • Application signed by a parent/guardian
    • Passing physical education (newspaper carrier permits only)