Work-Based Learning Program
Work-Based Learning Coordinator
Phone: (716) 807-3600
Employment is associated with an improved quality of life. However, employment outcomes of students with disabilities after completing high school consistently fall behind their peers without disabilities.
The idea behind the Work-Based Learning program at North Tonawanda is to ensure all children with disabilities have access to a free appropriate public education that includes special education and related services designed to meet their individual needs and prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living.
Responsibilities of the Program:
- Provides direction for obtaining CDOS credential for those students not attending BOCES CTE.
- .6 (3 periods a day) teacher with work-based learning certification.
- Coordinates 1-2 program aides to provide supervision to students in the community and district-based internships.
- Collaborates with HS CTE teachers to build needed coursework.
- Collaborates with future Special Education Consultant Teacher to determine needs of students in CTE classes.
- Supervises School Based Enterprises and support staff.
- Completes employment profiles and career plans for students enrolled in WBL.
Responsibilities of the Community:
- Establishes relationships with members of the NT community to secure potential job/internship sites.
- Facilitates internship agreements with community businesses and district employees.
- Coordinates with state grants and agencies who provide job coaching and other supported employment opportunities.
- Attends regional meetings and collaborates with WBL coordinators in surrounding school districts.