Spruce Elementary School
Important Second Grade Information
for Mrs. Logan’s
(& Mrs. Breeden's)
*Parent/Guardian- Please Read!
- We will have a mid-morning or late afternoon snack time each day.
- Please provide a healthy snack for your child daily.
- If you are unable to send a snack in with your child, please just let me know and I will provide a snack for him or her (it’s no problem).
- Please be sure to let me know of any food allergies your child may have!
- Also, I will allow the students to have water bottles on their desks. Please send in a water bottle with your child if you would like him or her to have access to water throughout the day.
- On the next page, you’ll find our “Specials” (Special Classes) Schedule. Please be sure your child has sneakers for Physical Education (Gym) on days 1, 4, and 5, and that he/she has his library books on day 3. You may want to hang the attached schedule on the fridge or somewhere else at home.
Our Special Classes Schedule:
<-------- See Specials Schedule Folder/Link (on the left of this page)
Notes on Homework:
Very little homework will be sent home…
"Spelling-" We will not be doing “traditional” weekly spelling lists and tests, as research has proven that this method does not insure accurate spelling. We will use more of a phonics based approach and individualized program. We will do a, lot of “word work” within our reading and writing each day in class. We will also begin using the Phonics Units of Study this year. We will do ample “word study,” exploring how words work within the complex English language, and we will have an emphasis on vocabulary development as well. Finally, high-frequency/sight-words/snap words found on our classroom “word walls” will be the words expected to be spelled correctly by all students. So, NO weekly spelling lists for homework, but occasionally there will be some practice “word work” sent home. Words to work on at home will be listed on our bi-weekly newsletter (Logan's Letter).
On occasion, some practice math sheets will be sent home to re-enforce skills that have already been taught. These will be only a few practice problems as needed (probably one or two nights per week).
The only daily assignment will be the re-reading of a text (book) sent home from our Reading Workshop sessions each day. I will provide each child with a “book baggie” to go back and forth between school and home daily. If a book is not sent home in the “book baggie” on any given day, your child should still read for pleasure at home for 10 to 20 minutes each night. Daily reading at home is an essential part of our Early Literacy program.
Thank you in advance for your support at home!