Your child will bring home a book to re-read almost every school night from now on.
If a book is not sent home in his/her “book baggie,” you should still have your child read each night for 10-20 minutes.
Here are a few things that you can do together to help your child with his/her reading and writing:
- Listen to your child read the take-home book
- Ask questions after reading and discuss the story fully
- When your child “gets stuck” ask him/her to think about what would look like that word and make sense? *Please don't just say "sound it out."*
- If your child has the stamina, occasionally ask him/her to write or draw about the book they read
- Keep activities quick and fun! Most important, enjoy your time reading, writing, and talking together.