Parents CornerHow to Turn Your Child Into a Fanatic Reader -- A great article from CNN by author James Patterson.Helping Your Child Series -- From the Dept. of Education. Publications to help you help your child with many subjects. Great information!Do Libraries Make a Difference -- This Power Point Presentation gives the results of studies on the effectiveness of school libraries on student achievement from 19 states and 1 province.
When your children come to the library they are gaining all kinds of skills to prepare them to become learners for life. Here are few of those skills:
- How to take care of library materials so that others may use them.
- How to take responsibility for borrowing materials and returning them on time.
- How to find reading materials to fit their needs whether it is for academic or personal interest.
- How to search a database using keywords.
- How to scan and skim an article when searching for information in reference sources.
- How to take notes when researching.
- They begin the process of evaluating sources for things such as authority and readability when researching.
- They begin the process of understanding how to use materials ethically.