Safety Tips When Boarding, Riding and Exiting the Bus
- PARENTS are responsible for getting their child(ren) to and from the bus stop safely.
- Clothing can get caught! Jacket and sweatshirt drawstrings, backpack straps, scarves and loose clothing may present a danger if they become entangled as a child gets on or off the bus.
- Instruct your child(ren) to remain seated while on the bus and avoid horseplay or being exceptionally noisy.
- Never run to or from the bus; a slip or a fall may occur.
- Stand back AT LEAST 15 feet from the road.
- Once on the bus, go directly to a seat. Stay in your seat, keep the aisle clear, and keep head and arms inside.
- Always obey the driver’s instructions.
- Students AND parents must follow and wait for the driver’s hand signals when crossing the street.
- Students must cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- If you drop something outside the bus, do not stop to retrieve it. Tell the bus driver that you have dropped something.
- If you leave something on the bus, do not return to the bus. Contact transportation to retrieve your item.
General School Bus Safety and Security
- Our school buses are equipped with cameras.
- School buses are NOT permitted to turn right on red. Please be patient as this is a safe driving practice to protect children.
- WHEN THE AMBER/YELLOW LIGHTS ARE FLASHING, BE PREPARED TO STOP.
- WHEN THE RED LIGHTS AND STOP SIGNS ARE FLASHING, YOU MUST STOP! EVEN ON SCHOOL PROPERTY!
Bus Stop Safety Procedures
- Please note that the stop time you are given is an estimate and is subject to change. Please be at your stop at least 10 minutes early. It takes approximately 2 weeks to establish actual bus times. Do not allow your child to wait in the house, they must be present at their bus stop upon the buses arrival. The bus will not stop if your child is not present.
- Please wait at the bus stop with your child or coordinate with other parents to ensure that a responsible person/adult is present every day. Kindergarten students must have a parent or guardian present at the stop. Students are to remain alert at all times at the bus stops. Items carried on the bus by the student need to be secured inside their backpack. Headphones may NOT be worn while the student is boarding, or disembarking the school bus, at any time. This is for the safety of your child.